Dax's Query on Building Rules

Yung Dax

User
Oct 3, 2021
I honestly do not know how to start a thread with requests such as these upcoming kindred suggestions. However, I'll phrase it as I see suitable.

I have an affinity and aspiration for constructing bases or homes in DarkRP over a sandbox server. It gives a structure more purpose than just aesthetics. Moreover, I like pushing a build to its limits with fierce regard to the rules with specially outlined procedures or practices. While leaving the boundaries of rules to the staffs' discretion is effective for a provisional solution in a server establishing its roots, it would be appreciated to ultimately reach deeper.

Unpopular opinion: Some of the building rules just are not simply good enough alone. Thus, people from within the community are entertained by the idea they can slip the occasional loophole, impairing strict building procedures and making the line between illegal and acceptable obscure. I do not claim to be innocent of this practice. However, when one person is seen getting away with it, others seem to follow down that path as I have. Worse yet, combining this ideology with this community's openness for new staff applicants makes illegal nearly indistinguishable from acceptable. The members' varying, contending viewing points, their discretion, on minimum or maximum constraints is frustrating. The main advisory being the seemingly blatant extremes.

If the staff team has any meetings on their schedule, I implore some forethought into updating the building rules with more specifics. I do not expect to go into extreme depth. The inclusion of "is not limited to" is reasonable. I just perchance to see important information such as what exactly is "too big" or "too long." I see rules pointing out no long base entrances and no mega-bases. Yet, I see a lot of excessively large structures. I would enjoy sharing some rule changes. However, it would feel inappropriate for just myself to inflict change in the rules. It would be good for a group of regulars, the staff team, to interchange their ideas to make a refined, slightly less biased list. However, if this feeling should be disregarded, I am ready to start suggesting.

As petty as this post may seem, I do mean to bring positive development. Especially since this server gives out prop limit with different levels of donator ranks, building efficiently is good practice. It makes dedicating resources to certain aspects easier. It is hard to build efficiently when there is not an officially established outline for certain building rules.

On personal request, can I get clarity on the rule GBB2? Does the second half regarding, "Bases with long pathways that use the time it takes to get from door to door as the main defense," mean to say that the span between one door to the next is required to be traveled in less than 5 seconds? 5 seconds meaning the holding time on a door when it is opened.

Thanks,
Yung Dax

(Yes, this thread is over the roof with vocabulary. I just want it known I take it to heart with this suggestion. It is hard to keep attachments to any of the communities in this game. With respect, the game is just is not as it use to be. It does have its moments, like this community.)

Last edited:
+1
The base building rules are way too loose. They need a rewrite with the inclusion of more restrictions on certain basing techniques to make raids actually possible. The EMPs were great when they got introduced but now they do basically nothing to these massive bases that stretch across the map these days.

Suggestion Noted
I appreciate the insight Dax. Here are 2 things I'm planning on doing to better specify building rules (and all the other rules) in the future.​
  1. Building Rules are going to be brought down to exact props.
    • Ex: Instead of, "Shooting Blinds can be 30 Precision Wide", it'll say "Shooting Blinds can be 1 05x05x05 cube wide"​
  2. I'm going to writeup my interpretations of every rule.
    • Instead of having each staff member ask about how they should enforce a rule, I'm going to create a public, transparent write up of all the rules where both staff and players will be able to see how I want each rule to be enforced on the server. Hopefully this will help with some of the confusion that both our staff and players have been experiencing in the past.​
    • As players start to find loopholes in the interpretations (or if staff start to ask questions), I can add to the interpretation over time, building on the experiences of both myself and past staff.​
Thank you so much for the write up, I love seeing passion and love for our community like this within members like you. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me with feedback in the future either on Discord or In-Game. Thanks for the suggestion <3.​

Reactions: Yung Dax