fyshiee General Suggestion - Remove EMPs or Add Alternative Base Defense

fyshiee

User
Apr 28, 2022
Suggestion Name Remove EMPs or Add Alternative Base Defense

What's Being Added/Removed/Changed - Remove/nerf EMP grenades
OR
- Add alternative base defense (proximity mines, etc)

Why It Should Be Added/Removed/Changed EMP grenades have reduced the creativity of 99% of base designs to simple tunnels composed of a few sticks and 4 fences, with shooting holes in a giant box. This is among the only few ways of combating them, with the alternative being that you create a super long base (which is against rule GER6).

Garry's Mod has always been a game about creativity. Addons have been added such as SmartSnap and Advanced Duplicator 2 to allow for this, and yet the bases that everyone uses take 20 minutes at most to build.

By removing EMPs, the problem is fixed entirely and people are more likely to want to build things that are nicer and potentially stronger. However, the raiding meta is already set—grab a blue grenade and rush in. It may be unreasonable that they be removed entirely, so nerfing them to cover only one door at a time (or removing sticky EMPs?) could be a good option.

The alternative is to add more ways for players to defend their bases using M9K entities that are already present on the server. They could be sold by a black market dealer, or a new job could be created. This option seems less effective.

Here is a link to a screenshot where I spent exactly 7 minutes building the base that I see most frequently on the server by anyone from User to Supporter. The prop count is in the top left of the screen—26. People are spending $75 on a rank that gives them more props, and yet there is no reason to use it.

This may seem like a small issue to some, and others will disagree with me then proceed to paste their 26 prop base down. I, along with other people, have spent hours upon hours on Garry's Mod tinkering with ways to make a base more defendable against a 5 man raid. Even with the best, most time-consuming builds, nothing beats a 26 prop, 7 minute base that's overlooked by a loser with a sniper rifle.

This is a screenshot to my favorite build. It's composed of 3 180 degree turns, and the entire base is slanted at 45 degrees in order to expose the raiders more. With defenses at each side of the path, and a confusing sense of direction for the raider, you would think that this base would be extremely difficult to raid. It's not. If I had to guess, it would take 2 sticky EMP grenades thrown in the middle of the pathways to get through all of the doors. There is no opportunity to defend, despite how well planned the design is.

I'd like to further explain that this suggestion is not for me—I've done my tinkering and I've spent hours to work around the issue as best as possible. I'm making this suggestion because not everyone is as experienced with building as I am, and not everyone is willing to put in the time when there's no need.

This will be my only serious forum post.

Links to Addons M9K, already in server

Last edited:
If EMPs needed to be changed, the addition of sticky EMPs would have killed basing. There are multitudes of base designs that make EMPs damn near useless, ones that can even be made with 40 props or less. If you ask me, sounds like you made this suggestion because you're a little miffed about being raided
I defended a 10 man raid yesterday solo. My bases are not the issue, and I didn't get raided when I made the post.

I defended a 10 man raid yesterday solo. My bases are not the issue, and I didn't get raided when I made the post.
If you, a solo, can defend a 10 man raid, how does that help your case that EMPs need a nerf or rework?

If you, a solo, can defend a 10 man raid, how does that help your case that EMPs need a nerf or rework?
Not everyone is half decent at building. It has nothing to do with EMPs existing or not, it's the fact that I built an 80 prop base. If a new player were to join, they would not be able to do this and they would be decimated by a single EMP grenade.

Not everyone is half decent at building. It has nothing to do with EMPs existing or not, it's the fact that I built an 80 prop base. If a new player were to join, they would not be able to do this and they would be decimated by a single EMP grenade.
there are 40 prop bases that are emp resistant

Suggestion Denied
Thanks for taking the time to make a suggestion, for further questions feel free to reach out on Discord.​