Cameras/CCTV/ECM Jammers Suggestion

Frank Montana

User
Jun 18, 2021
Hey! Hope all is going well, I know balancing has been a big focus lately, as well as attempts to get people out of their bases, and I wanted to toss out a few ideas I've had about it.

In my experience, one of the hardest things to combat about basing is the fact that you almost always need somebody on defense, primarily just for lookout. It's something that's made me essentially turn all of the pro printers who base with me into human cameras. It's unfortunate, because alot of the time players really do want to get out and rp, and don't want to just sit in base, but the cameras on the server are so laggy, and raiding can be so quick, that it's just necessary to always have at least one person on lookout.

I want to propose some camera addons and ideas, as well as a counter option, that might help add to rp and the depth raiding.

Unfortunately, the addon that I remember seeing in the past that inspired this idea, I couldn't find. Both of the camera addons that I'll be linking below require you to place monitors to view them, but the one I remember let you have an actual window on your screen, similar to the chatbox, ui, toolbar in the context menu, etc. You could place a camera, select one to stay on your screen, and walk around the map while always being able to easily keep an eye on your base. Again, unfortunately, I couldn't find it, but that would be my absolute favorite version of these. If that didn't make sense, sorry, you're welcome to ask for a further explanation and I'll try my best.

Anyways, here were two addons for cameras that I found:

These would let multiple people view the same cameras, allow for surveillance and/or surveillance networks across the map, and I could even see security/PD/CP teams linking in to several cameras, potentially across multiple bases or districts, to basically create an in-game version of ADT security. Or, even in some situations, finding out the frequencies to cameras in enemy bases and being able to keep a secret eye on them.

This would also let people be more comfortable leaving their base, as they can always tap into their cameras and take a look at the entrance and/or inside of their base. I know you already can do this with regular cameras, but its only for the person who owns it. Imagine some of my bases, and which would be more reasonable, having 15 players place individual cameras, or one camera and all the players can quickly buy a screen and link into it. That point is more for the entity limit than anything.

To help counter this, I found this and thought this was also a super interesting addon, not sure if it would work with the addons I linked previously however.

This addon is intended to allow raiders to kill the signals of all cameras within a certain range. Of course, when you see your cameras go offline that's probably a telltale sign you're being raided, but could definitely be useful, immersive, and fun in certain situations, like temporarily disabling the CP's or a defendant's cameras during a pd/bank/regular raid, so they can't see your exact moves or preparations. The ECM jammers are also intended to mess with keypads, but I'm absolutely not a fan of that part. Pretty sure it won't work with the keypads we use anyways, but if so I think it'd be a bit too op.

Anyways, sorry this got a bit long, want to get your opinions on the idea, as I think it'd be a pretty decent way to add to the balancing changes we've seen lately. I'm a bit worried that stuff like this would affect our entity usage, but I think it'd only be a few extra cameras and screens per base, and would immensely help rp. Can't imagine it adding more than 2-10 entities per base, but I could see CP going a bit crazy with it. Regardless, much love if you actually took the time to read this whole thing and give it some consideration, take care <3

Last edited:
Reactions: robinj24
oh, also, for the CCTV system addon, I would really hope it's not narrowed down to one job. Would be nice if everyone could create their own systems. Otherwise I could see it either not being used nearly as much as it should be, or people being forced to give up rp to help secure bases, either way not a fan of the idea of a "security technician" job.

Thanks again if you took the time to read this if you did, hope you're having a good one.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the addon that I remember seeing in the past that inspired this idea, I couldn't find. Both of the camera addons that I'll be linking below require you to place monitors to view them, but the one I remember let you have an actual window on your screen, similar to the chatbox, ui, toolbar in the context menu, etc. You could place a camera, select one to stay on your screen, and walk around the map while always being able to easily keep an eye on your base. Again, unfortunately, I couldn't find it, but that would be my absolute favorite version of these. If that didn't make sense, sorry, you're welcome to ask for a further explanation and I'll try my best.
This is called RT (Render Target) Camera, it's on the Workshop

As for the SH Camera's those will definitely never be added because they have severe FPS impact for anyone within range of them, especially with more than one.

Unfortunately from what I can tell the CCTV system uses the same method of rendering having the same FPS impact.

Maybe a combination of the RT Camera and the ECM Jammer could work?

This is called RT (Render Target) Camera, it's on the Workshop

As for the SH Camera's those will definitely never be added because they have severe FPS impact for anyone within range of them, especially with more than one.

Unfortunately from what I can tell the CCTV system uses the same method of rendering having the same FPS impact.

Maybe a combination of the RT Camera and the ECM Jammer could work?
heeell yeah, can't quite tell if that's exactly it but glad you understand the concept. Was curious if it would affect fps since you'd have to render multiple parts of the map at once, but as long as its only a client side effect in performance then who cares. Haven't done development in so long I can't really help much with that side, but lmk if there's anything I can do to help.

heeell yeah, can't quite tell if that's exactly it but glad you understand the concept. Was curious if it would affect fps since you'd have to render multiple parts of the map at once, but as long as its only a client side effect in performance then who cares. Haven't done development in so long I can't really help much with that side, but lmk if there's anything I can do to help.
Render Target Camera's will have a negligible impact on Client FPS as it doesn't actually force rendering of the entire screen like the camera does. It'll only render most items if your player is actually close to where the RT Camera is.

Render Target Camera's will have a negligible impact on Client FPS as it doesn't actually force rendering of the entire screen like the camera does. It'll only render most items if your player is actually close to where the RT Camera is.
Then that's perfect. Curious to see if the ecm jammer would work with that, but regardless RT would be an excellent addition even on its own in my opinion. Thanks for giving it some consideration

+1 I used to think that the cameras that are already in the game could do this. This would be a very good addition.

+1 if implemented correctly I think this could be an advantages prospect to enabling more players to roam freely around the map without worrying about base defense

Suggestion Denied
Due to the player pop we take in every day, this is not a feasible addition on AtomicRP at the moment.​