VisLeaf for Fountain Area Visualized

Cuteboi

User
Jun 12, 2021
Since people are not allowed to build props in fountain because of server lag, I decided to see what the game actually processes as the "Fountain" area.

Source Engine splits itself up into little boxes caused "Visleafs". Visleafs basically determine what your computer loads when you are in a given location on the map. As you move through to a different visleaf, parts of the map you are moving toward will become more visible. In contrast, parts you are moving away from disappear.

Here is what fountain looks like
unknown.png
unknown.png

And finally, a more fleshed out version of the whole area.

unknown.png

Basically, because of how the map is set up, if a player has props inside the fountain area and is asked to remove them to decrease server lag, moving them toward or opposite of the bank won't actually do anything because they are in the same visleafs as the fountain. However, moving them towards PD or Spawn Alleyway WILL decrease lag.

Last edited:
I don't understand why props in this zone causes more lag than props in any other zone

I don't understand why props in this zone causes more lag than props in any other zone
Since fountain is a central location, it can cause more lag because it leads to most other sections of the map, and is also populated with a lot of player at all times.