Basing reform

DearlyDecrepit

User
Jun 25, 2021
The current scene of bases are nearly impossible to raid, due to how they are built. Bases really operate on the premise they should be impenetrable, which ruins the chance for successful raids. Naturally, you want your base to be safe and hard to raid, but the current system really emphasizes using solely the best of the best, to the point it's unbalanced and to an extent ruins the roleplay immersion, as well as causing lag. (For Example) The tunnel bases make sense strategy wise, but not from a roleplay perspective. Realistically why would a town allow you to take over an entire tunnel. Beyond that, when you walk into town you're greeted with loads of props. IIRC, there are two tunnels, meaning just walking into town you have to see two mega bases, as well as depending on when you play you might see several flags, text screens, and people running around. Personally it halts my computer for a second, despite my computer being decent, so for people with less, that must suck. It also constrains people walking in and out of town due to the tight squeeze.

But, it also causes server lag. Mega bases tend to do that, especially when there are several. In fact, entire parts of the map are often dedicated to mega bases, and town is really only where the roleplay happens. One part is often vacant (the urban part where the admins build), and the other is usually just mega bases (behind the town.) This limits the roleplay as people just afk at base. And even if they leave, they can look through cameras or have notifications to let them know if someone tried to go through their doors, which means they can run back.

But in terms of base design itself being an issue, people tend to do what is the best option. That just makes sense considering you don't want to be raided. You can even spawn saved bases if you play long enough. Which makes sense, you don't want to rebuild everything over again, that would be tedious. But, that means if your base works really well, and it's hard to raid you, it will always be hard to raid you. No building flaws, or bad design, you can have something that always works. Now, I am not suggesting we get rid of spawning saved bases, but rather what bases are allowed since in theory if it's possible to have an impenetrable base complying with the rules, that strat will be status quo. And a lot of bases just have the feature of not being able to see who is basing, but the person basing knows where the door is, or where you are, which pretty much means your death. Even if you brought people with you, people can base in numbers, meaning the ratio effectively stays the same. As of right now, it's not skill based, if you get that perfect base up you're golden. They can sit back, afk, and get notified when you arrive (via noises or keypad.) That doesn't really contribute to the server at large. It's practically 0 interaction with the general population.

Bases are also often not constrained by map structures. People who build in the sky, or in a tunnel have a much more flexible design considering they control an entire area and its volume without having to work around walls or anything else. It would also make more sense for people to base up in buildings, but some just stand out as a base on a roof, or something similar. It's good to leave buildings open to RP, sure, but it's jarring to have several floating structures, or roof bases.

What would base reform look like? I think the community should decide. Balance is delicate, and what should be done should be talked over. Though it would have big impact, it is a necessary one. My suggestion is limiting mega bases, clearing town of mega bases, ban on tunnel bases, and adding something to entice people to leave bases to roleplay.

+1, The simplest solution would be removing the option use a button to fade props, the reason is seems impossible to raid is because every single base design is designed to have you turn your back to a window that you know will open the second you turn around and keypack crack.

EDIT: or designate a certain color that faded windows have to be to add some sort of contrast, like orange or green.

Last edited:
I agree it's a very tough line to straddle, since the inception of Atomic it's been a constant battle to balance the difficulty of raiding with the rules around basing. What type of ideas do you guys have for how we can make things more balanced without completely killing raiding or killing one's ability to make a good base?

Reactions: Joe Copperfield
I agree it's a very tough line to straddle, since the inception of Atomic it's been a constant battle to balance the difficulty of raiding with the rules around basing. What type of ideas do you guys have for how we can make things more balanced without completely killing raiding or killing one's ability to make a good base?

The issue with bases now (for me) are that they are designed to get you to look away from a faded window, and when you turn your back to it to keypad crack the person presses a button and shoots you in the back. I actually feel like a piece of shit when i abuse this because there is nothing they can do, and some bases completely hide the window by making the room all black as a example.

Here are some possible solutions to think about.

> Fadeable windows controlled by buttons can no longer be the same color as surrounding props to add contrast.
> Limit the amount of buttons you can place to 1.
> Make keypad crackers silent.
> Add better/more raiding tools.
> Removing the ability to base in tunnels and on roof tops.
> Give most or all rifles the ability to shoot through props.
> Remove the Storefront_Template001a_Bars prop

These are just off the top of my head, right now raiding is so 1 sided i feel like if someone has a decent base and is inside i have a 0% chance at success solo.

Last edited:
I think the rules are as fair as they can be without giving either side more of an advantage than they should have. Naturally, the defender should be at some advantage which they are with deciding when to open the shooting window and arguably which shooting window to show up behind (though the latter can be countered by listening to footsteps). Most of it comes down to lag. Some people's pings are so high that they physically can't react to a window opening before they get shot. Also, unless a base is designed specifically with it in mind, any sort of 1 vs. X scenario where x is any number of raiders greater than one is going to be much harder for a solo defender to defend against.

I think maybe get rid of one props and one way vision like world glow. Taking these out cause the player to be more aware of what might happen instead of just looking through a prop. You can still have shooting blinds but without the one way limiting you to whatever might be on the other side of the shooting blind. For raiders it would give them more of a chance to be able to raid as you might get caught of guard or out gunned and die, cause you can't see through the prop. In my opinion one way shooting blinds kill the potential for anything cause all you have to do is wait for them to turn and open and shoot. Every base that are in tunnels are cancer and clog up everything there is RP I already made a post about it cause all people do is build a massive structure and go afk. Get rid of 1 ways and tunnels and raiding and rp would seem better in my opinion.

Reactions: Joe Copperfield
I think the rules are as fair as they can be without giving either side more of an advantage than they should have. Naturally, the defender should be at some advantage which they are with deciding when to open the shooting window and arguably which shooting window to show up behind (though the latter can be countered by listening to footsteps). Most of it comes down to lag. Some people's pings are so high that they physically can't react to a window opening before they get shot. Also, unless a base is designed specifically with it in mind, any sort of 1 vs. X scenario where x is any number of raiders greater than one is going to be much harder for a solo defender to defend against.
I have single defended a raid on many accounts against 5 to 8 player groups and won everytime cause they never knew what angle I was gonna shoot from. This is all possible because of one way props. You never have to peek a certain if you know there is danger behind that angle. Most base have multiple angles with the use of one way looking. No matter how many people you have it is always unfair for the raider cause you truly can't see the person.

Okay so I was thinking maybe instead of getting rid of one ways but limit it to only being able to see with out being able to shoot through. I believe if you make it that shhoting blind has to be visible by both parties, so that there isn't a abuse of one way cell gate abuse. This can make it fair for both parties cause you can still put the keypads away from the fading door, but your at least aware where you might get shot from.so end of point make shooting blinds visible by both parties or completely remove the ability to abuse one way and world glow props.

I have single defended a raid on many accounts against 5 to 8 player groups and won everytime cause they never knew what angle I was gonna shoot from. This is all possible because of one way props. You never have to peek a certain if you know there is danger behind that angle. Most base have multiple angles with the use of one way looking. No matter how many people you have it is always unfair for the raider cause you truly can't see the person.
Like I said, there are ways to force 1v1s if you build correctly, I don't think removing one ways will ultimately solve the problem because its mostly due to lag/ping. For example, on a server I used to play you could shoot at the raiders so log as either you could both see each other or neither could see each other. Using the latter, you would make an entrance of all black fences, sit behind a shooting window with a spas or lmg and have a camera looking at the first door. All you had to do was look through the camera and position a button to open the window. If you pre-aimed through the entrance you could almost always kill them and close the window without having to exit the camera. The same principle can be used with our current rules sans one ways by just putting a camera down the hallway and pre aiming over a keypad. Once they start cracking you just press e on the button and fire a double barrel all while looking through the camera.

+1 i have nothing to say just fix it i don’t have the ideas but just fix it