Working on the hate-speech/racism rules so it can be easily definable

Fence Jumper

User
Apr 9, 2022
A more detailed guideline to identifying hate speech (racist, slur, homophobic, misogynist, etc. words) should be made by non-biased high-ranking staff. A good way to do this would be by making a detailed list of characteristics. An example would be to make a list of words, tones, actions, etc. that clearly set up identification of hate-speech. Players and staff shouldn't determine the words that could be considered as hate-speech just to attack or falsely ban/warn innocent players.

Easy. If what you're saying has any possibility of being interpreted as being hateful toward someone or someones, don't say it

Reactions: maya
yeah, it would be nice to clarify and give more examples of what isn't allowed, people can get banned for saying things that aren't considered slurs which doesn't help with the vagueness of what's punishably hateful

Please refer to enforcement guide lines B5 that will answer any and all questions you have about hate speech and what is considered hate speech.

Please refer to enforcement guide lines B5 that will answer any and all questions you have about hate speech and what is considered hate speech.
Yes, but the hate speech rules on saying potentially offensive stuff is VERY broad. It literally comes down to staff discretion if its not really covered under the slurs section. And while staff members and ex-staff members like me have done their best, our discretion can still be wrong. For instance, the ban appeal linked here was a ban appeal that I responded to. My discretion was inaccurate and didn't see the situation right. I banned someone because in my opinion then, I figured that Clean Up Crew was saying the things he said in a derogatory manner, when he wasn't. There are more ban/warn appeals that show this, but this is one that I knew the most about since I am the one who banned them. I feel that maybe we should change the rules so that it clearly outlines what we do/should do in situations like that. I probably should've asked a higher up instead of just going with what I thought at the time, as that was incorrect. See what we mean? The rules are too broad and are open to misinterpretation by both staff and players.

Yes, but the hate speech rules on saying potentially offensive stuff is VERY broad. It literally comes down to staff discretion if its not really covered under the slurs section. And while staff members and ex-staff members like me have done their best, our discretion can still be wrong. For instance, the ban appeal linked here was a ban appeal that I responded to. My discretion was inaccurate and didn't see the situation right. I banned someone because in my opinion then, I figured that Clean Up Crew was saying the things he said in a derogatory manner, when he wasn't. There are more ban/warn appeals that show this, but this is one that I knew the most about since I am the one who banned them. I feel that maybe we should change the rules so that it clearly outlines what we do/should do in situations like that. I probably should've asked a higher up instead of just going with what I thought at the time, as that was incorrect. See what we mean? The rules are too broad and are open to misinterpretation by both staff and players.
I don’t believe your reading the enforcement guidelines because in there it specifically states any racist comments which arn’t very hard to distinguish but then right after it states the three specific no no words it dose not leave a lot for interpretation or staff discretion in my opinion at least. It also specifically states which words are verbal and which are straight warn.

I don’t believe your reading the enforcement guidelines because in there it specifically states any racist comments which arn’t very hard to distinguish but then right after it states the three specific no no words it dose not leave a lot for interpretation or staff discretion in my opinion at least. It also specifically states which words are verbal and which are straight warn.
You are referring to the slurs part of B5. I am referring to the little tidbit that is "- As a player: Don't use language that can offend other players.". This statement is broad in the fact that many things can be mistaken for being discriminatory when it is in fact not. I have made this mistake. I'm sure others have as well. I know the slurs part clearly defines what to do when THOSE WORDS are used. But I am talking about what I've mentioned above.