Punishment Change Suggestion

Asherrod

User
May 4, 2021
Today, I learned of a person on the discord named .r who got banned for seven days for leaving during a 5 minute jail. I would suggest either reducing this to a one day ban or, if possible, ban them for 2 hours whenever they log back in. A whole week seems ridiculous to me, considering that drives people away, and makes people even more hesitant to do anything fun, for fear of logging out when the punishment is going on. I know that my laptop has no battery and if I accidentally knocked out the power cable on it during a jail time then I would most likely be banned for 7 days too. I recommend keeping a punishment, though definitely making it less severe.

-1 if they reduce the punishment time for ltap then users would just leave and not care about the punishment since the ban time is not that big of a deal

-1 if they reduce the punishment time for ltap then users would just leave and not care about the punishment since the ban is only two hours
I am suggesting a day, which is a fairly long time. There are also the other systems in place, such as multiple strike rules, which prevent people from breaking the rules over and over. Also, 5 minutes is shorter than 2 hours, no? I said 2 hours would be a good time, but if it's not possible to monitor them due to the admins dealing with other people, one day would also be good. This 7 day ban only makes many people, myself included, a lot more hesitant about the server and a little more worried about what will result in a perma ban next time. It's a slippery slope.

The point of the punishment being so severe is so people aren't inclined to do it. If we were to move the ban time down to 1/2 days, Mass RDMers would be more inclined to just tank the extra day or 2 and leave, creating more work for our already strained staff team. I understand where you are coming from but I just couldn't see it playing out the way you'd expect it to.

The point of the punishment being so severe is so people aren't inclined to do it. If we were to move the ban time down to 1/2 days, Mass RDMers would be more inclined to just tank the extra day or 2 and leave, creating more work for our already strained staff team. I understand where you are coming from but I just couldn't see it playing out the way you'd expect it to.
I agree for people such as mass RDMers and any other rule breaking on par with that, though I do not understand doing it to people who RDM once or that break NLR once and then leave. Yes, you have to teach them a lesson for evading punishment, though does an RDM warrant a 7 day ban if they leave a 5 minute punishment?
Edit: I know that you do want the punishment to be so severe that no one does it, though what if it's so severe that you lose players over it?

I agree for people such as mass RDMers and any other rule breaking on par with that, though I do not understand doing it to people who RDM once or that break NLR once and then leave. Yes, you have to teach them a lesson for evading punishment, though does an RDM warrant a 7 day ban if they leave a 5 minute punishment?
Edit: I know that you do want the punishment to be so severe that no one does it, though what if it's so severe that you lose players over it?
Leaving a 5 min punishment is obviously ltap, just wait the 5 mins. People who play our server most likely know what it is and wouldnt deter players to play it. Playing Atomic you are expected to know the rules theres prob a reason why its a class v punishment

Leaving a 5 min punishment is obviously ltap, just wait the 5 mins. People who play our server most likely know what it is and wouldnt deter players to play it. Playing Atomic you are expected to know the rules theres prob a reason why its a class v punishment
You are talking about every single person who may join the server. You have a rule list on par with legal documents. I do not know people, aside from grad students, who will memorize each one of your rules from front to back. The classification of the punishment is also extreme compared to what the original punishment was. Myself, I have hundreds of hours in DarkRP and I do not know what ltap is. You seem to believe that we all know what you know, which isn’t true.

You are talking about every single person who may join the server. You have a rule list on par with legal documents. I do not know people, aside from grad students, who will memorize each one of your rules from front to back. The classification of the punishment is also extreme compared to what the original punishment was. Myself, I have hundreds of hours in DarkRP and I do not know what ltap is. You seem to believe that we all know what you know, which isn’t true.
We know we have a big rule list.

That's why verbal warnings are a thing if something happened by accident or the dude simply didn't know.

Our punishment system works that's what is important.

We know we have a big rule list.

That's why verbal warnings are a thing if something happened by accident or the dude simply didn't know.

Our punishment system works that's what is important.
You say it works, yet here I am with stories of people being banned out of the blue, way too harsh of bans for simple problems that should be warnings, and much more. Your punishment system not only doesn’t work, it merely deters people from playing on your server for other servers with better rule systems.

just read the rules extensively

stop being a whiney little bitch

Added note - When we ban for LTAP we check disconnection logs to see if it was a (disconnect by user) meaning they left the game themselves. If someone's internet or laptop died for instance as you said, The logs would say (user timed out) which we do not ban for. However if your computer died or something else happened, reaching out to staff usually can resolve misunderstandings.

Added note - When we ban for LTAP we check disconnection logs to see if it was a (disconnect by user) meaning they left the game themselves. If someone's internet or laptop died for instance as you said, The logs would say (user timed out) which we do not ban for. However if your computer died or something else happened, reaching out to staff usually can resolve misunderstandings.
is this actually acurate (the user time out) what if the user just unplugs his lan cable/disconnects his wifi?